I don’t know where you’re from, but around my neck of the woods people consider “Belly” a certified classic movie.
Actually, that’s false. What I meant to write was that I question your life choices and common sense if you don’t regard Belly to be a wonderful movie.
I mean, what’s not to love about the movie? Besides the plot? And the acting? And the dialogue? If we held plot, dialogue and acting against all movies, then there’d be no good movies. FACT. Real connoisseurs know that you can only truly judge the awesomeness of a film by the number of yuks and irrelevant amusing tangents in the film. Belly is a fucking winner.
In lieu of a proper defense of this honorable hood classic, I’ll list all the reasons to watch Belly again. Besides the plot and acting of course.
1. Nas – Mr. Jones is the God MC, but I’m glad that some wise person convinced him to stop acting. He’s awful. I’d suggest that if Jay-Z had focused on Nas’ acting during their beef, he would have won hands-down. Watching Nas in any movie is like a cross between the guy that plays Vince in “Entourage” and a dying crackhead. He brings this same “talent” to Belly, and the movie is better for it. Try not to die laughing…
2. DMX – (Pause on the link. Pause.)Earl is the ying to Nas’ yang. He’s the manic living crackhead character of the movie. It’s really a powerhouse performance. Seriously. He’s really good in his part, but now we know why that was the case. Crack is a heluva drug. To wit, this wonderful bit on books:
Sincere (Nas): “Yo, when’s the last time you read anything, man?”
Buns (DMX): “Never, motherfucker.”
3. Africa – A recurring theme throughout the movie that leads to this classic exchange between Nas (Sincere – ROFL) and T-Boz (Tionne – note that they used her actual name, since she’s probably too damned dumb to remember a character name other than hers + her acting rivals Nas’ for best ever):
Sincere (Nas): Let’s move to Africa. We always talked about it. We’ll live in Africa…
Tionne (T-Boz): (pensive pause)… Africa is far!
4. Big Head Rico – The lame, vaguely queer, perm-having, dime-dropping, fake pimpin’ hustla from Nebraska.
5. Everything that had to do with Jamaica – DMX’s excursion, the weird hair, the soccer game, the Scarface homage. All that shit was overkill…
6. Method Man’s Character – Whatever his name was. What the fuck happened to that guy? He got shot (likely fatally), he stumbled into the car Ghost was driving and they drove off. WTF happened to dude? Shit’s been bothering me for the better part of a decade now…
7. The cover/poster art. Slick shit:
8. Taral Hicks – She looked so good in this movie that I’m not even going to post her face:
9. The Cinematography – flashy as fuck and seizure inducing at points, but I’ll be damned if watching the movie didn’t make me want to go rob something while wearing a ton of leather and doing the harlem shake…
10. The Opening Sequence – I don’t even know where to start with this one. This is the best opening to a movie ever.
- The slow-motion (everything is better in slow-motion).
- The music (Soul 2 Soul was bangin’ – if someone walked in on me right now, I’d be singing. Badly).
- The robbery (robberies are cool. In movies and when they don’t happen to you. Man Law.)
- The lighting (makes me want to live in the club forever. And I hate clubs. They’re awful. Matter of fact, I’mma write some shit about clubs…)
- Actually, fuckit. Just watch the video above if you haven’t already…